North Korea on Friday said talks between the United States and Pyongyang could be under threat after U.S. federal prosecutors accused a computer programmer allegedly involved in the 2014 Sony Pictures Entertainment hack with working for the North Korean government.
“The U.S. should seriously ponder over the negative consequences of circulating falsehoods and inciting antagonism against the DPRK that may affect the implementation of the joint statement adopted at the DPRK-U.S. summit,” Han Yong Song, a researcher at the North Korean Foreign Ministry’s Institute for American Studies, said in a statement, according to The Associated Press.
He added that the cyberattacks have “nothing to do with” North Korea.
The Justice Department last week charged Park Jin Hyok for allegedly conspiring to conduct a series of attacks, in addition to stealing $81 million from a bank in Bangladesh.
He is also being charged with last year’s WannaCry malware outbreak, which infected more than 200,000 computers in 100 countries.
The Justice Department believe he worked for a North Korean-sponsored hacking organization.
Park is charged with two counts of conspiracy to commit computer and wire fraud.
President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un met for the first time at a June summit in Singapore, and are currently planning a second summit.
Since the June summit, however, the relationship between the two governments have degenerated as Pyongyang has been reluctant to surrender the country’s nuclear capabilities.